In Costa Rica, rice pudding or “Arroz con Leche” is a traditional dish for many holidays including Christmas time.
Au pair Wendy, currently in Robin Leon’s Austin, Texas cluster, shared this delicious traditional recipe.
Arroz con Leche
* 1 cup of white rice
* 2 cups of water
* ½ butter bar
* 2 cups of milk
* 1 evaporated milk can
* 1 condensed milk can
* 4 whole cloves
* 2 cinnamon sticks (big)
* ½ teaspoon of orange zest
* ½ teaspoon of nutmeg grated
* Sugar to taste
1. Rinse and drain the rice
2. In a big cooking pot, add the water, rice, the cinnamon sticks and the whole cloves. Cook on low heat.
3. When the rice is starting to pop add the milk, butter, nutmeg and the orange zest. Continue cooking at medium heat. Stirs constantly.
4. When the rice is already popped and all the flavors are mixed add the condensed milk and sugar to taste, if you do it before the rice is not going to cook well.
5. Cook on low heat for 2 more minutes.
6. It can be served warm or cold and add raisins or chocolate chips as a side.