Time flies and more often than not, our au pairs tell us that they can’t believe how quickly their year in the U.S. (or two years) has flown by. Feelings about going home are often mixed and in some cases, the prospect of ending a life-changing experience brings anxiety and dismay. Our host families may notice a difference in their au pair’s behavior: perhaps she’s withdrawing, perhaps she seems self-absorbed wanting to squeeze so many last minute activities into her time left in the U.S. Are the children upset? Are they acting out because their beloved au pair is leaving and they don’t understand why. The most important action of course is to talk, talk, talk. Au Pair in America Community Counselors are prepared to support the au pair, host family and children as they face the separation and all related challenges. It’s important to remember that going home, also referred to as re-entry or repatriation is just another transition but like all transitions, it can be difficult and emotionally-charged for all involved.
- Au Pair in America Explorer for March April 1, 2020
- IWD 2020 Raffle Winner Vivian from Brazil March 30, 2020
- 2020 International Women’s Day: Giovana R. from Brazil March 28, 2020
- 2020 International Women’s Day: Cassia F. from Brazil March 27, 2020
- 2020 International Women’s Day: Annika V. from Germany March 26, 2020
- 2015 Peace Day Essays/Poetry
- 2016 Peace Day Essays/Poetry
- 2017 International Women's Day Essays
- 2017 Peace Day Essays/Poetry
- 2018 Peace Day Audio/Video
- 2018 Peace Day Essays/Poetry
- 2019 Peace Day Audio/Video
- 2019 Peace Day Essays/Poetry
- 2020 International Women's Day
- Adapting to Life in the U.S.
- Cultural Clash
- Host Family Stories
- Learn about the U.S.
- Meet Your Global Neighbor
Arlington Au Pair in America Explorers Brazil Chinese New Year Christmas cluster meeting Colombia contest cultural exchange earth day Explorer Flag Day France Germany Global Awareness Global Awareness presentation holidays Houston IEW Illinois International Women's Day Italy IWD language Maryland Massachusetts Mexico New York Panama peace day Poland presentation School school presentation song South Africa Spain Texas Thanksgiving travel Virginia volunteer Washington DC winner World Thinking Day